What is COPD?
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) refers to a group of diseases that cause airflow blockage and breathing-related problems. It includes emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and in some cases asthma. It is the 3rd leading cause of death in the US and the 4th worldwide, yet few people have ever heard of it. Over 24 million Americans are afflicted with COPD; however, more than half remain undiagnosed. COPD research and awareness is grossly underfunded and Fantasy Sports 4 Life aims to change this through the power of fantasy sports.
COPD: The More You Know, The Better For You and Your Loved Ones (via Breathe Better Network)
What are the causes?
- Smoking (both cigarettes and second-hand smoke) is the #1 cause of COPD
- Pollution in the air and irritating fumes and dusts
- Rare genetic condition called Alpha-1 Deficiency
What are the symptoms? (via the American Lung Association)
- Chronic cough
- Shortness of breath while doing everyday activities
- Frequent respiratory infections
- Blueness of the lips or fingernail beds
- Producing a lot of mucus
Lack of Research Efforts and Funding (click images to enlarge)
The Severe Lack of Active Ongoing Trials for COPD (via the COPD Foundation):
The Grossly Under funding for COPD research and awareness (via the CDC):
Organizations We Support: